John joined KBKG in 2015 as a Fixed Assets / Cost Segregation / Accounting Methods Director in the Midwest market. Johns’ responsibilities will include servicing capital intensive clients with value-added services relating to cost segregation, fixed asset reviews, repair & expense studies, and 263(a) compliance.
Prior to joining KBKG, John worked for KPMG managing large fixed asset projects in the Mid-American business unit which includes Detroit, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Louisville. As a member of the Accounting Methods and Credit Services Group (AMCS) John specializing in Fixed Assets, Repairs & Maintenance, Construction Tax Planning and Cost Segregation Services. Prior to his Big Four experience, John worked for two large public accounting firms in Orange County, California.
Over the past 10 years as a Fixed Assets specialist, John was responsible for the business development efforts for fixed asset services including new client identification, proposals, and client deliverables. John has lead and executed cost recovery studies on more than 1000 facilities including; healthcare, retail, manufacturing, commercial office, multi-family, power generation and dealerships. He has performed inspections of machinery, equipment, buildings, & construction projects estimated construction costs using nationally recognized costing manuals, and analyzed technical specifications, construction drawings & construction invoices. John generated sales utilizing both internal and external networks. John also provided continuing education presentations relating to cost segregation, section 179D, repair & expense rules.
Prior to his public accounting career, John worked for the large international clothing retailer Abercrombie & Fitch as a Regional Maintenance Supervisor. In this role, he was responsible for identifying issues, source vendors, overseeing projects, and approving the quality of work. John organized, bid, and developed national service contracts for preventative maintenance programs. He managed several different contractors and scheduled all work at 103 stores in six states with a $10 million preventive maintenance budget. He supervised mechanical design, consultants, and engineers in developing systems for new stores. John’s intimate knowledge of construction projects has provided him with a solid foundation in dealing with complex construction contracts.
John received his Bachelors in Economics Management from Ohio Wesleyan University and graduated with his MBA from Ohio University. John is a certified member of ASCSP American Society of Cost Segregation Professionals and holds his LEED Green Association credential.
Key Experience and Affiliations
• ASCSP Certified Cost Segregation Specialist: Member # C0139-10
• Author for numerous national educational groups
• “Big Four” industry experience
Recent KBKG Tax Insights by John Hanning
- KBKG Tax Insight: IRS Provides Extension to Claim Missed Repair Deductions on 2016 Returns12/27/2016The recently released IRS Notice 2017-6 extended a special eligibility rule for taxpayers making an automatic change of accounting method providing an opportunity to continue to take advantage of the ...
- Rev. Proc. 2016-29: New Procedures for Automatic Accounting Method Changes05/11/2016The IRS recently released Rev. Proc. 2016-29, which lists automatic method changes and provides procedures for making them. Form 3115’s filed on or after May 5, 2016 must follow the updated rules. ...
- Retail/Restaurant Industry Safe Harbor Under Tangible Property Regulations01/13/2016The IRS recently issued Revenue Procedure 2015-56 providing a safe harbor for certain taxpayers operating retail or restaurant establishments for determining whether expenditures incurred to ...